Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2011

You Need A Solid Foundation

Base season is like allergy season, you know its coming and you dread it.  The only good thing about base is......I'll have to come back to that one.
Base does set you up for a good season.  However, if you dog base, you might as well pack it up now and save yourself the pain.   The harder you work now, the easier winning will be in the summer.

Every base starts with a long run.  I'm not sure how long it is, but it can take as little at 6 minutes for some to do, and as much as 15 for others.  Last year the long run felt like a workout in itself to me.  Everyone else seemed to be able to do it with ease and at a pace like no other.  I, on the other hand use to struggle with each step and pray for it to be over.  Coming into base this year I knew about the long run, and there was no way I was going to let it own me again.  By running a few 'pre-base' over distance long runs while I was off, I felt more mentally prepared for what was in store. 
I'm happy to say, it worked.  Day one of the long run was a breeze! The over distance long runs made it feel like it was a short sprint. 

I've been back to base training for a couple weeks now, and in comparison to last year I'm feeling a lot better.  I've been working on my mental strength and focus, and I think that has been helping me a lot.  My older brother, Onome, gave me a book for Christmas two years ago, and that has become my new Bible (well actually second to my actual Bible).  Every day I read it and take notes, then actually apply what I've read to my workouts.  Its funny how much easy things got once I had the confidence and mental preparation going into a workout.

So far everything has been going amazing.  I've had one or two days where I felt like I got beat with a bag of wet towels, but on the whole, I'm on a roll.  I know that as long as I keep my mind and my body healthy this year, there will be no stopping me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment